Midian Ranch Blog

This is the web log for Midian Ranch, an isolated homestead in rural Nevada. It is owned by Jason and Tina Walters, whom are also its regular posters. This blog is exclusively for the enlightenment and edification of our friends, family, and colleagues.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gerlach, Nevada, United States

Friday, October 13, 2006

First Week of October

The Midian Warehouse really is a warehouse now. Over a period of four days, Big T and I transformed it from a random and chaotic assortment of boxes stacked atop pallets into an identifiably professional operation. It took some investment, of course: $1200+ worth of shelving, $400+ worth of 2x4’s, the purchase of a battered but serviceable forklift (another $2,500 dollars), and – perhaps the greatest expense of all – almost a week’s worth of backbreaking work. There’s still a bit more to do, but it’s nearly all fine-tuning from here on out. The backbone of the warehousing and fulfillment business we wish to establish in the Hualapai Valley is firmly in place. All that remains is to attract more clientele – and, as soon as my licenses come in from the state of Nevada, I will do just that.

We accomplished some other tasks over the last week as well. I added another six 2-volt batteries to the “Uptown” battery bank, which should increase its overall storage capacity by a not inconsiderable 6000-watt hour to roughly 20,000-watt hours. I also set up and began charging a “Downtown” battery bank. I still need to purchase a couple more solar panels of at least 40-watt capacity and add another solar regulator, but it’s all yet more fine-tuning from here on out. We (naturally) shipped out a bunch of Hero’s books, but that’s pretty much a given on any day of the week.

Tinker (our missing cat) turned up… at Dog Ranch, of all places! Neither the Cole’s nor we have caught him yet, but Ron’s spotted Tinker raiding his rottweiler’s dog food twice already. My guess is that the old guy is ranging between Black Rock Station, Dog Ranch, and the Jackson Ranch, stealing where he can and living off of mice and lizards the rest of the time. No one could be more shocked than me, but Tinker seems to have heard the call of the wild. It’s honestly hard to imagine – he was the most thoroughly domesticated feline I have ever seen – but something snapped in his tiny mind and suddenly went ferule. Steve S. told me this was common out at the Black Rock, but I didn’t 100% believe him until now. Live and learn, I suppose.

The last three days saw a full moon out in the desert. This means that a) it was almost as light during the night as the day and b) the coyotes were out in force. They call to one another from across the valley from sunset to sunrise; which, as I mentioned in my last post, probably means there are too damn many of them. Don’t get me wrong. I like and respect coyotes, but they’re predators and I own animals, so they make me nervous.

Anyhow, I just got word that I’ve got an home inspection coming up from the State of Nevada next Tuesday. Wish me luck – everything in the ranch house is pretty much home made, so I figure my odds of passing aren’t tremendously good. Ron Cole is going to help me get ready, though, which is a great comfort. And pray for us, as any more complications or expenses in what we’re doing right now could be catastrophic.

1 Comments:

Blogger seantaclaus said...

Glad to hear Tinker popped up and that he seems to be doing okay in fending for himself. If you guys are at SoCal, I'll probably be there-- I'll drop Tina an email with details.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home