Midian Ranch Blog

This is the web log for Midian Ranch, an isolated homestead in rural Nevada. It is owned by Jason and Tina Walters, whom are also its regular posters. This blog is exclusively for the enlightenment and edification of our friends, family, and colleagues.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gerlach, Nevada, United States

Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Whirl of the Windmill, Squeaker is a Starling

So... Squeaker isn’t a pigeon. She’s a starling. Which is good because she (Yep. She’s a she.) can learn to talk like a parrot or a raven. It’s also bad because she’ll never leave. Having been raised by humans she considers herself a “human” in the sense that domesticated dogs and cats do. She’ll be totally helpless in the wild. So, welcome to the monkey house Squeak!

Oh, God! Did I just say that? I take it back. Don’t want to give Tina any more ideas!

In any case, starlings are a widely hated pest species here in rural Nevada. They chase other birds away, make a terrible racket, and have a reputation for being unsanitary. This is partially unfair. Starlings are very territorial and they do make a lot of noise. In fact, starling instinctually try to raise their voices higher than anyone around them. (It’s very annoying). But they are actually extremely sanitary, which is why they defecate away from themselves and their nests. Straight at you. I’ve never seen an animal projectile... well, you know. It’s fascinating in a train-wreck-ish sort of way.

As is usually the case Squeaker has decided that the sun rises and sets around Tina. If she wasn’t rather reasonably afraid of getting eaten by the other animals following Tina around. Squeaker would probably hop and flutter after her everywhere she went. Pretty much like every animal around this ranch except for Michelle, whom I practically breast fed as a puppy. My beautiful, devoted whatever-she-is follows me around wherever I go, sleeps on my feet at night, and slobbers on my face when I’m trying to wake up in the morning. Nobody loves you like a dog loves you.

So I finally got my power generating windmill working. I had to send it back to the factory to have the electronics and bearing replaced, but wow what a great machine! I did it right this time too: big, thick wiring, a DC amp meter, kill switch, and a specially made fuse. Even in light wind it kicks out between 2 and 5 amps. I can’t wait to see what it will do in a real wind. Between that and the new solar system I’ve put in place I should barely have to run my generators this summer.

Some people hate the sound of windmills. But what would you rather hear? A generator? I love it. W-h-i-r-l. It sounds like victory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home