Midian Ranch Blog

This is the web log for Midian Ranch, an isolated homestead in rural Nevada. It is owned by Jason and Tina Walters, whom are also its regular posters. This blog is exclusively for the enlightenment and edification of our friends, family, and colleagues.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gerlach, Nevada, United States

Monday, August 22, 2005

August 12th, 13th, and 14th

This weekend went a lot smoother than the last one. I flew from San Francisco to Reno late Friday afternoon, caught a cab to Arrow Transmission, and quietly finished reading Ben Bova’s novel The Precipice (which is quite good) in their lobby while I waited for them to finish repairing the van. The damage? $1,400: double yippee. There goes the repairs to my Concourse. Anyhow, the van is driving well. I stopped in at The Flag Store on Glendale Ave. in Sparks where I bought a truly wonderful 20' telescoping flag pole and a Nevada “Battle Born” state flag for Midian (I already had a stars and stripes). I put it up as soon as I got out to the ranch and it looks mighty sweet indeed. I feel like a real Nevada man at last.

I spend Saturday working out at Dog Ranch with Ron, which was pretty fun. Ron’s a good guy with an interesting life story that I’m not going to relate out of respect for his privacy. We seem to be birds of a feather in some odd way I can’t quite put my finger on. To our mutual amazement we got Kevin B’s old Frankenstein’s monster of a trencher (its two trenchers held together with wood, bailing wire, chewing gum, and prayers) running fairly well. We even dug a trench across one of Dog Ranch’s roads so that he could run a pipe to the field that he’s planning on keeping horses in.

Back at Midian Ranch I pulled a couple of parts that need replacing out of the Jeep and the Dodge, got the KLR 650 running properly, and stripped a very, very dead battery out of the welding trailer. I also began work on fixing the interior ceiling of the ranch house and replaced the old messed up swamp cooler with a skylight. I have a pretty good idea of how I am going to make the ranch house’s ceiling look nice again but right now it’s all a great big “ify” experiment. I’ll post more on that when I have some pictures

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

How fortituious--you mention Dog Ranch here, and I found an interesting by-article in The Reg about something that happened at last Burning Man. (And I know it wasn't held at Dog, but I still think of it as the Burning Man area.)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/19/clown_hunted/

In any case... slowish day, but gotta be done.

(And yes, I'm working on those commisions. They'll be ready. :P )

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home