Midian Ranch Blog

This is the web log for Midian Ranch, an isolated homestead in rural Nevada. It is owned by Jason and Tina Walters, whom are also its regular posters. This blog is exclusively for the enlightenment and edification of our friends, family, and colleagues.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gerlach, Nevada, United States

Monday, April 13, 2009

Baby Cassidy

It looks like we’re going to be the proud parents of a baby girl! We’ve decided to name her Cassidy: a solid Western name for a solid Western girl. Tina’s pregnancy is coming along nicely. The doctors say that she’s as healthy as a woman ten years her junior and, as far as I’m concerned, it shows. I think it’s a combination of clean living, good genes, and a cheerful disposition on T’s part.

I completed my greenhouse and it seems to be functioning nicely. I’ve come up with a zero-electricity way of keeping the inside humid, and the design is keeping it hot. I would guess that it’s 10 to 20 degrees warmer inside than outside. Which is great, as Winter’s heavy hand is still upon the Black Rock. The floor is still a bit muddy inside and I need to do a lot more work building racks and so forth, but the basics are in place and working.

Plants are beginning to come up in the garden in spite of the usual problems with alkaline salt buildup on the top of the soil. A friend over as USG (U.S. Gypsum) is getting me a sack of Ag-Gypsum, which should help not only to counteract that but help to break up the clay even more than my homemade compost already has. I have big hopes for our vegetable garden this year, backed up as it is by the greenhouse. Additionally, I’ve planted a lot more trees, and put a great deal of thought into their location, species, and irrigation. I’m optimistic that many – possibly even most – will survive this time, barring unforeseen circumstances. I’ve also begun a second “lawn” (those of you who have visited in the past know that our lawns are very small) that I’m calling Cassidy’s Lawn, as I plan on putting a swing set there in the future.

I have some other exciting news about what we are doing professionally out at the ranch, but it can keep for now. Just know that we are healthy, happy, and

1 Comments:

Anonymous Beth Stewart said...

....tempted to quote Grateful Dead lyrics to you, but won't, but wanted to tell you both how neat it is you're going to be parents. I look forward to hearing all about it. Best wishes Jason & Tina and baby Cassidy.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home